Saturday, June 06, 2009

Ganapathy Set..

I recently registerd in kiva.org and was all excited about my loans to enterprenuers in developing nations. Here is an interesting conversation about the thing..

10:28 PM Pallavi: so wht was the micro fin thing u sent me
u involved wih tht?
me: yeah.. just lent money to ppl
10:29 PM have always had a romantic notion of farmers
and old style shopkeepers
so lent them some money..
10:30 PM Pallavi: awesome
gd fr u!
and have u earned back a share of ur invstmnt?
wht have u invested in?
me: if you mean have they repayed the loan??
no..
10:31 PM Pallavi: no as in dont u get a share of their profits or smthing like VC?
or is it just simple loan system
me: actually I didn't bother to find out...
:)
10:32 PM I had heard of Muhamad Yunus
so just readily jumped in..
and its just a couple of hundred dollars..
10:33 PM Pallavi: :)
rich NRI
but gd yaar
nice to see smone doing smthng like this
me: indeed.. http://www.kiva.org/lender/gany22
Pallavi: did u get to pick who got ur loan?
me: yeah
10:35 PM one was a bee farmer in the temperate hills of azerbaijan..
how romantic
lemme give him 50 bucks
10:36 PM Pallavi: :)
me: now here is an old lady with a cabbage patch in cambodia..
isn't that where Angkor is??
k.. another 50..
10:37 PM another 50 for a shopkeeper in Togo..
10:38 PM me: sick of the supermarkets... the smell of a lil grocery shop
usually smells of sugar
and of jute rope
10:39 PM brings back childhood memories...
so that's the way the 50 went..
Pallavi: :)
i like how u picked

No comments: